Boracay is not just White Beach. There is a thriving Tours and Activities scene with a huge range of things to do.
There are a variety of festivals and events for your enjoyment all year around at Boracay Island. Not surprisingly, most occur during the high season. During the peaks of high season, it’s party time on boracay. So if you want to party and enjoy live music, plan your visit for Christmas and New year, during Holy Week (easter) or during school holidays in May. The many events during high season include the International Beach Volleyball Soccer, Frisbee and Skimboard Tournaments, Bikini and Muscle Man contests and the Paraw Regatta (a race for outtriger sailing boats). Everybody is welcome to join some of these events. The exact dates for many of these events are not decided until several months or weeks before they occur.’
There several seasonal events and festivals in Boracay, so if you’re just planning for a trip, you might check out these dates first:
- Ati-atihan Festival (January, 2nd Sunday) – the annual celebration in honor of Santo Niño, boracay’s version of the very famous Ati-Atihan Festival in Kalibo. The festival presents a picturesque scene as Filipinos, their bodies painted and some playing musical instruments, parade and dance in tribal groups along the White Beach.
- Boracay international Funboard Cup (January, 2nd half) – Since 1989, Boracay has been one leg of the Southeast Asia Funboard Cup for windsurfing enthusiasts. Held in waters off Bulabog, on the eastern side of the island.
- Yapak Fiesta (February 10 to 11) – At Barangay Yapak, the first of the yearly fiestas held in each of Boracay’s three Barangays.
- Malay Municipal Fiesta (April 30 to May 1) – A town fiesta at its best.
- International Beach Volleyball Tournament (May, 1st or 2nd weekend) Every year, Boracay is hosting the International Beach Volleyball Tournament. In 2005, 72 teams from 44 colleges and universities in the Philippines competed in the inter-collegiate tournament.
- Dragon Boat Race (May, 1st half)
- Parochial Fiesta (May 18 to 19) – for the Holy Rosary Parish, which encompasses the entire Boracay Island.
- Manoc-Manoc Fiesta (May 24-25) – another Barangay Fiesta
- Balabag Fiesta (December 28-29) – Fiesta at Barangay Balabag
- New Year’s Eve (December 31) – Fireworks along White Beach and many other events, including sandcastle building contests.
- Cockfights – every Sunday – at the Gallera de Boracay Cockpit near D’Mall between the White Beach path and the main road.